Wednesday, October 26, 2011

A Willing Mind




June 3, 2005

I, too often, allow little things to make me anxious then my anxiety sabotages my mothering.  The need to clean this couch I'm sitting on for example (we had a red microfiber couch back then--what a relief to go have leather with attached pillows now). I can't let it go.  And when I can't get to it I become grumpy and irritable.  I'm unwilling to sacrifice then frustrated when the boys ask for things (build a train track, play with me, I'm hungry, I'm thirsty). 

Grandma Heaton is playing with Ty now.  She's giving him her undivided attention.  He provides all the imagination while she listens, responds, suggests and goes along.  No wonder he loves her so much.  She's a great example of how to sacrifice willingly.

2 Corinthians 8:12
"For if there be first a willing mind it is accepted according to that a man hath, and not according to that he hath not."

Am I willing to give the sacrifices that have been asked of me?  Life is much harder when I'm unwilling and resentful.  Willing sacrifice brings forth the blessings of heaven--peace and a lighter burden.  It takes faith and discipline.  I seek for more of both.  The Savior has overcome and I can only overcome through the power of his atonement.  How grateful I am for him.

October 26, 2011

I can look back now and see what a blessing it was Grandma came that day.  We were an hour drive away but her example was so timely.  She must have been inspired.

I'm also surprised to see how long the Lord has been teaching me about willingness.  It's something I still pray for and work toward.  A challenge having young kids is that so much just happens that you can't plan into your day.  Night wakings, dirty diapers, spills, falls . . . it leaves you feeling out of control.  I can't think of a better situation to learn willingness, submission and the hard to explain joy and refinement you begin to feel after doing it every day.  Willing service is the formula to feel true love.

No comments:

Post a Comment