Thursday, October 27, 2011

"My strength is made perfect in weakness"

June 10, 2005

2 Corinthians 12:7-9

". . . there was given to me a thorn in the flesh . . . for this thing I besought the Lord thrice, that it might depart from me. And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness."

What does Paul mean "my strength is made perfect in weakness?"

Perhaps the struggle against our weaknesses makes us stronger.  My struggle to be healthier is certainly teaching me more discipline, accountability and appreciation for my body.  My struggle to not be critical teaches me to be more thoughtful, hold my tongue and appreciate those around me more.  I have to face weakness with faith and hope in Christ.  I'm so grateful he has overcome.  His grace will be sufficient where and when I fail. 

October 27, 2011



And six years later I feel even more grateful for my weaknesses that have humbled me, filled me with compassion and compelled me to rely on the Lord instead of the world.  I will never stop trying to improve myself but I can do it recognizing my weaknesses strengthen my character and my faith in Christ.  In a world obsessed with perfection it can be hard to see weakness as a strength.

Southern Utah deserts are the perfect example of this principle.  The plants that survive there are not lush or tall but they are strong with deep roots.  They offer a strength and beauty of their own having endured a harsh climate.

No comments:

Post a Comment